Simply put, an internal link connects a page to another within a website. Internal links contain the target links and the source links. They both share the same domain. Internal links have immense potential for a site to enjoy SEO benefits. If properly used, the site will have a significant surge in traffic. Failure to use these internal links will result in the opportunity for the site growth to fade away.
The Significance of Internal Links
Internal links are useful in improving the user experience on your site. This is how the links achieve this.
- Thanks to internal links, navigation on the site is improved. Users use these links to move from one page to another.
- Internal links help institute a flow of information within the website.
- Internal links offer context and hierarchy. This means that users are first welcomed by light content. They then can access deep content depending on their needs.
- Internal links help Google’s WebCrawler index the pages on your site efficiently.
- Internal links are good promotional tools within your site. These links make the user aware of upcoming events and other promotional items on offer.
The list of benefits of internal links goes on. To view them, go to this site.
Internal Links and the Relation to SEO
It is agreeable that internal links impact ranking. However, what is the concept behind it?
You need to first identify a landing page that users are interested in. Follow it up by linking the page to some relevant content within your site.
The principle of using external links on other sites remains true in internal linking. The more clicks, the higher the ranking. Google tools interpret clicks as interest to high-quality content on the site. The tools then rank the page based on the increased traffic.
Internal linking is the concept most sites use to increase their ranking. They use global news and trends, and fashion content useful to the user and relevant to the news and trends. As such, they capitalize on the use of internal links as an SEO tool.
Important Internal Linking Aspects
Now that you are aware of the advantages of internal linking, there are specific internal linking aspects to be considered.
- Focus on Content Creation
Increasing content on your website creates a rich source pool of information. Linking such content generates a surge in traffic. Users accessing one page will find relevant content on another. As the clicks go up, so does the ranking.
- Link to content pages
Ideally, the homepage contains several links as it is. It is advisable not to use homepages while linking pages. Use other content-rich pages.
- Use of Anchor Texts
Texts should be used to link other pages. However, you need to be careful not to use optimized words as anchor texts. Opt for words in non-optimized phrases or sentences.
- Use Relevant Links
Linking should not be done haphazardly. It should be intentional. Pages linked together should offer relevant, extensional or relatable information.
There is more to know about internal linking. For more on internal link building, go to this site.